I’ve mentioned my literary love a few times on this blog before…ok a lot of times before.
Those of you who know me in real life know that I almost always have a book in my purse/car/bag/nearby. It’s not uncommon to find me in the library, hidden in bookshelves, reading in my car. Does this make me a huge nerd? Well duh! I never claimed not to be a big nerd! In fact, I might be the biggest of them all. I’m ok with that…so there!
But tonight gave me a whole new set of reasons (and a lot of time to think) about why I always keep a book nearby.
Let me give you the Top 5 reasons I keep a book handy all the time:
5. You never know when your doctor/dentist/banker will be running late, effectively deserting you in a boring lobby with nothing but bad public-access TV and year old Time magazines.
4. You can’t predict the power will go off, leaving you to entertain yourself without your DVR’d episodes of House.
3. Sometimes the 1,000th episode of poorly acted daytime dramas just don’t cut it and you need something more enticing. Also reading helps you vocabulary and language development (unlike Maury reruns).
2. Movies and TV can be ok sometimes, but they are never as good as the book they are based on. Care to challenge me on this one….go ahead, name me one movie that is better than the book it was based on. Can’t do it, can you?
And the grand-daddy of all reasons:
1. You never know when the tornado sirens will kick on leaving you stuck in your unfinished, spider-infested basement with no DVD player and a half-finished movie upstairs. (yes I watch movies).
Yup…at least I had a good book to keep me and the spiders company.
Looking for some reading recommendations: Here’s my current top 5 (disclaimer…you may hate these, but I love ’em. They may not be found on a literary top 100 list (or maybe they are) but I honestly could care less….) 🙂
2. Any one of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich – pure fun!
Disclaimer: Just because I read like it’s my job doesn’t mean my vocabulary/grammar/spelling skills are up to perfect. Please to hold this against me.